Sunday, November 30, 2008

Almost done.

There was not that much left to do on the tree house, but somehow it still took a whole day. By mid morning we were done with the railings. It took the rest of the day to wash the tree house, put on a coat of deck oil, and anchor the hand rails together. You might remember that I had applied deck oil when the floor boards arrived and wonder why I'm applying oil again. Well, I only applied deck oil on one side of the boards. But it ended up that the most efficient way to cut the boards necessitated using the non-oiled side in some cases. So lesson learned. As it is now, I only have scrap pieces of the floor boards left. I was either a really good estimator or I was just lucky.

Here are the pictures.


View from the north.


Here's the newly oiled floor. You can see the three different kinds of wood used: garapa (most of the floor boards), tigerwood (the 4" boards), and ipe (the dark brown boards).


This is a view looking east. The picture was taken before I tied the hand rails together.


Today's another glorious 70 degree day in late November. I love the way the floor boards look in this afternoon sun.

What's left to do.
  1. There is a small section of railing to be added near the stair entry.
  2. We might need to reinforce the railing on the south side.
  3. A curtain/drapery system around the north and south side would be great.
  4. For now, we are using my folding ladder. It would look a lot nicer if there is a wooden ladder. Maybe someday.
That's it for now. The next post might be when it is all finished. (Or will it ever be finished?)

No comments: